01:51
<wanderview>
JakeA: your triage of all the issues is triggering my OCD to reply to all of them
01:52
<JakeA>
wanderview: haha I'm trying not to look at replies until I've gone through all the open issues
01:53
<JakeA>
but yeah, I'm struggling
01:53
<JakeA>
"ohh look, an email!"
01:59
<wanderview>
shiny
02:34
<wanderview>
JakeA: btw... making our "what have we been doing" book report slides... trying to keep it to 3 slides so its short
03:14
<JakeA>
wanderview: that's ideal. Brief is best I think. Facebook are going to give an update too
04:39
<annevk>
JakeA: most WHATWG standards do this
04:46
<JakeA>
ta
05:23
<wanderview>
JakeA: is background fetch behind a pref or an origin trial?
05:24
<JakeA>
wanderview: right now, neither. A very limit, not-really-usable thing will hit Canary in a couple of days. It's intended to be an origin trial when it's usable
05:24
<wanderview>
ah, ok
05:24
<JakeA>
Need API review & a spec, of course
05:24
<wanderview>
I saw the chromium issue update this morning... was just wondering
05:24
<JakeA>
The spec is just IDL right now
05:25
<JakeA>
I hear vague rumblings that Alex isn't happy with my design :D
05:25
<wanderview>
ha
05:25
<JakeA>
But we're going to chat it through, hopefully before the f2f
06:04
<wanderview>
Domenic: are there any DOM bindings that use WritableStream yet? or included in your intent-to-ship?
06:38
<Domenic>
wanderview: not at this time. Mainly we want to allow the ecosystem of developer-created writable streams to kick off. Platform APIs really want transform streams and we figured it was better to ship incrementally instead of holding out for a big writable + transform + piping + streaming textdecoder bonanza.
06:38
<wanderview>
cool
06:39
<wanderview>
yea, I'm a little annoyed we can't ship ReadableStream without fetch body support... afraid people will just feature detect ReadableStream in the global and not actually body attribute being present
06:39
<wanderview>
so happy to see them ship separately
06:46
<Domenic>
Oh, that is a shame, sorry about that :-/
06:47
<wanderview>
Domenic: good news, though, is till is looking to land ReadableStream js bits in next couple weeks
06:47
<wanderview>
so we can start on the binding layer
06:48
<Domenic>
Very excited :)
06:58
<JakeA>
wanderview: I've dumped & loosely categorised issues at https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/issues/1053. I might reduce it a bit & prioritise
06:59
<wanderview>
JakeA: wow, nice!
07:04
<wanderview>
JakeA: you probably deserve a beer after doing that
07:12
<wanderview>
annevk: is there any discussion about any other browser seriously considering switching to safari's double-keying approach?
07:12
<wanderview>
I haven't seen it... but maybe I am missing it
07:52
<annevk>
wanderview: dunno, but we need to solve for all browsers to be successful
07:53
<annevk>
wanderview: I definitely think Fx should strongly consider it given our messaging on privacy
08:58
<JakeA>
annevk: wanderview: going to bring up foreign fetch in the context of this. It might require big changes
08:59
<wanderview>
JakeA: context of what?
09:00
<JakeA>
wanderview: sorry, the double-keying
09:00
<wanderview>
JakeA: oh, right... yea... we're totally talking about foreign fetch here :-)
09:00
<JakeA>
Since foreign fetch kinda makes it not work
09:01
<wanderview>
I don't think that is the case... foreign fetch just gets a storage location that is less likely to be shared
09:01
<wanderview>
but thats the whole goal of double-keying... seems like its a purposeful tradeoff to me
09:03
<wanderview>
JakeA: anyway, I should probably just google fight this fight... I don't think firefox won't be implementing foreign fetch any time soon
09:06
<wanderview>
if safari implements storage de-duplication it may not even be that bad
09:06
<wanderview>
or less effective
09:12
<JakeA>
Yeah, deduping would make things less bad
10:20
<annevk>
I think it can actually be reasonable if you do de-duping and if first-party visits don't result in later double-keying, which is what Safari does for cookies as I understand it, but not all kinds of storage
10:21
<annevk>
But it would be nice if we worked through it first and agreed on some kind of model so developers end up with a more predictable platform
10:45
<wanderview>
JakeA: I wrote a new SW issue in order to make your life more complicated: https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/issues/1100
10:50
<ondras>
what is the current status re. xhr.send(arrayBuffer) vs. xhr.send(arrayBufferView) ?
10:50
<annevk>
ondras: both should work
10:51
<ondras>
annevk: desktop browsers are okay with both (I saw somewhere that they should warn when using ArrayBuffer?), older androids (<4.4) seem to not work with ArrayBufferView
10:51
<ondras>
is there a preferred version?
10:52
<ondras>
https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/#concept-bodyinit-extract
10:52
<ondras>
annevk: what exactly is BufferSource here? is that an AB/ABV ?
10:53
<ondras>
a-ha! https://heycam.github.io/webidl/#BufferSource
10:54
<annevk>
ondras: there's no preference
10:55
<ondras>
annevk: I see. This pages states otherwise: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/XMLHttpRequest/send
10:55
<ondras>
so probably mdn is outdated?
10:56
<annevk>
ondras: yeah, someone should probably fix that
10:56
<ondras>
annevk: cool, thanks for the info. .buffer will apparently fix my android issue then.
10:57
<annevk>
ondras: note that using .buffer can be tricky, since a view can be for only part of an ArrayBuffer, so might represent only a subset of the bytes, if you are then passing .buffer you'd potentially pass more
10:58
<ondras>
annevk: yeah, I am sending new Uint8Array(plain-number-array).buffer
10:58
<ondras>
so these should be equal
11:48
<zcorpan>
annevk: ....what happened here? https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/2420
11:53
<Domenic>
zcorpan: it has zero commits, and it's toward some other branch... I wonder if there's a GitHub bug that auto-merges zero-commit PRs or something
12:25
<annevk>
zcorpan: not sure, first time I see it
12:27
<zcorpan>
So for the fingerprint, should we wait for bikeshed or try to merge the current set of PRs?
12:28
<annevk>
I'm happy to wait for bikeshed / TabAtkins
12:28
<annevk>
Or is something blocked?
12:29
<zcorpan>
Don't think so. OK
12:30
<annevk>
I found out WebAssembly is using OCaml for its spec/reference implementation
12:31
<annevk>
I wonder if that caught Philip`'s attention yet
12:43
<Philip`>
It hadn't
12:43
<Philip`>
They should have written the reference implementation in WebAssembly, though
12:44
<annevk>
heh
12:44
<Philip`>
because who doesn't like writing assembly code?
12:45
<Philip`>
(Besides, only weirdos use OCaml)
13:57
<SimonSapin>
jgraham: whatโ€™s the review/merge process for wpt? Click the green button once Travis is happy?
13:58
<gsnedders>
jgraham: a) find someone to review it, if it's not already been publicly reviewed
13:58
<gsnedders>
wait, SimonSapin even, not jgraham ^^
13:58
<SimonSapin>
gsnedders: Iโ€™m reviewing
13:58
<gsnedders>
SimonSapin: b) hit the green button once Travis is happy and a) is done
14:22
<tobie>
SimonSapin: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests#test-review
14:22
<SimonSapin>
thanks
14:22
<tobie>
(for future reference)
14:40
<jugglinmike>
JakeA is there any information published online about the April face-to-face meeting/
14:44
<annevk>
jugglinmike: https://github.com/w3c/ServiceWorker/issues/1053
14:45
<jugglinmike>
perfect, annevk. Thanks!
15:07
<annevk>
Philip`: I'm somewhat surprised they're doing it on OCaml too, but the person writing the standard is a big fan of functional programming
15:08
<annevk>
Philip`: judging from https://c10109cf-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/mlworkshoppe/2016-1.pdf it sounds like not many other people understood it
15:29
<annevk>
JakeA: maybe discuss https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/151 next week too
16:37
<TabAtkins>
annevk: I'd appreciate a definition to link to for the fingerprint stuff.
16:41
<annevk>
TabAtkins: https://github.com/whatwg/infra/pull/115 is the PR to add one, but it kinda depends on a change to Bikeshed (and I'd also like Domenic to review it)
16:41
<annevk>
TabAtkins: so we might have a deadlock of sorts ๐Ÿ˜Š
16:42
<TabAtkins>
That is not actually blocked by me in any way.
16:46
<annevk>
TabAtkins: zcorpan said it was
16:47
<annevk>
TabAtkins: the added "Fingerprint Image:" metadata probably doesn't work without changes to Bikeshed?
16:47
<TabAtkins>
Right, which he doesn't need to just add a definition.
16:48
<annevk>
TabAtkins: so your proposal is that we first add some text and link to the image ourselves and then later update that with bikeshed?
16:49
<annevk>
TabAtkins: moving Bikeshed first and then landing this seems easier to me
16:49
<TabAtkins>
Or don't use bikeshed magic on the definition.
16:50
<TabAtkins>
But bikeshed really does need something to link to before I can land anything.
16:50
<annevk>
But it's kinda the point of the definition to demonstrate how it materialises
16:51
<annevk>
TabAtkins: how about you create a PR for bikeshed that uses https://infra.spec.whatwg.org/#fingerprinting-vector and then we coordinate landing next week?
16:51
<TabAtkins>
Sure. ๐Ÿ˜€
21:12
<TabAtkins>
Quick poll: In <https://drafts.css-houdini.org/css-typed-om/#dom-css-hz>; I have a bunch of functions for constructing CSS unitted values. I'm spelling Hz() and kHz() properly - worth it, or should I lowercase them, since CSS doesn't care about casing?
21:13
<gsnedders>
TabAtkins: how do authors mostly write them?
21:13
<gsnedders>
I mean I guess they don't because they're scarcely used
21:13
<TabAtkins>
I have no idea, since they're only used in Speech.
21:14
<gsnedders>
Indeed.
22:07
<JakeA>
annevk: shall do
22:23
<tobie>
TabAtkins: Use the correct casing. (That's what we'll do with sensors if we end up exposing units.)
22:23
<TabAtkins>
+1