03:59
<xfq>
the "Participate" and "Tests" headers of the DOM Standard look weird
03:59
<xfq>
there are unclosed parens
03:59
<xfq>
is it a known issue?
04:10
<MikeSmith>
xfq: hmm yeah, something broken there
04:13
<MikeSmith>
maybe a regression in bikeshed
04:13
<MikeSmith>
the source just has this:
04:13
<MikeSmith>
!Participate: <a href=https://github.com/whatwg/dom>GitHub whatwg/dom</a> (<a href=https://github.com/whatwg/dom/issues/new>new issue</a>, <a href...
04:14
<MikeSmith>
!Tests: <a href=https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/tree/master/dom>web-platform-tests dom/</a> (<a href=https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/...
04:16
<MikeSmith>
,,,
04:16
<MikeSmith>
and I can’t reproduce it locally
04:16
<MikeSmith>
but then my bikeshed isn’t the latest
04:21
<MikeSmith>
hmm just updated my bikeshed to the latest but I still can’t reproduce this
04:21
<MikeSmith>
xfq: file a DOM spec bug?
05:35
<xfq>
MikeSmith: Infra (13 September 2017) also has this issue, but URL (18 September 2017) doesn't
05:35
<MikeSmith>
interesting
05:36
<MikeSmith>
I have no idea what the cause might be
05:36
<MikeSmith>
maybe annevk will
05:36
<xfq>
the closest issue I can find is: https://github.com/tabatkins/bikeshed/issues/1097
05:36
<annevk>
Bikeshed issue
05:37
<annevk>
We just need to generate new copies
05:37
<xfq>
so just triggering Travis will solve this issue?
05:38
<annevk>
I suspect so
05:38
<TabAtkins>
Yup, dom just happened to last generate in the few hours when the bug was present.
05:38
<annevk>
I can look at it in a couple of hours
06:54
<annevk>
Domenic: are worklets JavaScript modules?
06:54
<annevk>
Domenic: I wonder if we resolved that already
07:10
<annevk>
We did: https://drafts.css-houdini.org/worklets/
08:06
<annevk>
JakeA: would be good to have a thumbs up/down from you on https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/pull/527
08:06
<annevk>
JakeA: mostly about the service worker selection for worklets part
08:07
<annevk>
jungkees: same goes for you, if you have the time
08:08
<jungkees>
annevk: thanks for the notice. I'll check it out
08:34
<JakeA>
looking now
08:56
<annevk>
mkwst: I guess you're okay with https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/pull/527 going with distinct destinations for the different worklet types?
08:56
<annevk>
mkwst: it seems a little safer to just mark them differently from the outset
09:15
<mkwst>
annevk: Yes. Totally fine with that. We can always reduce granularity in the future if we feel the need, but starting with more specific data seems right.
10:21
<nox>
In https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/media.html#concept-media-load-algorithm,
10:21
<nox>
Shouldn't the step '⌛ Otherwise the media element has no assigned media provider object and has neither a src attribute nor a source element child: set the networkState to NETWORK_EMPTY, and abort these steps; the synchronous section ends.' also set the delaying-the-load-event flag back to false?
10:24
<annevk>
foolip: ^^
10:27
<JakeA>
Btw, TabAtkins landed <script type=idl> in Bikeshed which avoids the need to escape < & >. Also works better with syntax highlighting
10:27
<JakeA>
https://tabatkins.github.io/bikeshed/#idl
10:27
<gsnedders>
hmm, who do we know who is still at Opera and can help us find stuff? both test-related (either by finding stuff around or in VCS history or bugs) and looking up bugs?
10:28
<foolip>
nox: yes, that would make sense, can you file an issue?
10:28
<nox>
foolip: Ok.
10:29
<annevk>
gsnedders: bratell/jl?
10:29
<annevk>
gsnedders: mstensho?
10:30
<annevk>
gsnedders: rune
10:30
<gsnedders>
ah, true, they're all still there
10:31
<nox>
foolip: https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3065
10:39
<nox>
foolip: Failing to set it back to false in Servo made /html/semantics/embedded-content/media-elements/loading-the-media-resource/resource-selection-invoke-play.html timeout,
10:39
<nox>
and I don't really understand why, hah.
10:40
<nox>
Do tests time out if we don't fire the load event, in general?
10:55
<JakeA>
annevk: what's the correct way to hook an event handler up to its associated event?
10:55
<JakeA>
I've seen it done a few different ways
10:55
<JakeA>
And none of them are done in https://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#aborting-ongoing-activities, so I should fix that
11:12
<jungkees>
annevk: a dictionary object passed from JS also has its own realm, right?
11:13
<jungkees>
annevk: if I want to pass that onto an algorithm goes in parallel, would it be a good practice to convert it to a internal struct? Or would just passing it as-is be okay?
11:17
<Ms2ger>
I don't know if ES already defines the realm for arbitrary objects
11:18
<gsnedders>
nox: testharness.js tests?
11:31
<annevk>
jungkees: it’s converted to an IDL dictionary at the boundary which has no Realm so should be fine
11:32
<nox>
gsnedders: Yes.
11:33
<annevk>
jungkees: the only somewhat weird thing is passing dictionaries across "in parallel" boundaries
11:34
<annevk>
jungkees: I think that should be okay, provided you don't mutate it, but at some point we need to document how that works
11:37
<gsnedders>
nox: no, it shouldn't matter
11:38
<jungkees>
annevk: yeah, currently "run a worker" also takes a dictionary from the main thread and access it inside the worker thread
11:38
<nox>
gsnedders: Well, that is weird then.
11:39
<nox>
gsnedders: /html/semantics/embedded-content/media-elements/loading-the-media-resource/resource-selection-invoke-play.html times out locally if I don't account for https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3065
11:40
<nox>
And it's not a test case that times out, but the whole test.
11:40
<annevk>
jungkees: ah, good to know
11:41
<annevk>
jungkees: I suspect we don't want to formalize it too much right now, first figure out what all the various usage patterns will be and what kind of issues arise
11:41
<annevk>
jungkees: still very early days for "in parallel"
11:41
<gsnedders>
nox: will look in a few mins
11:41
<jungkees>
annevk: okay. I don't think there are many cases for dictionary indeed
11:42
<jungkees>
annevk: a tricky part that I encountered is.. I'd want to pass a struct to an internal algorithm
11:43
<jungkees>
annevk: and that struct should somehow carry information in a dictionary given from JS
11:44
<jungkees>
annevk: I'm not sure if I can set an item in a struct to a dictionary itself. Would that make sense?
11:44
<jungkees>
annevk: otherwise, I'll need to convert the dictionary to a struct only for a reason to pass that along
11:44
<annevk>
jungkees: that's fine
11:45
<jungkees>
annevk: sounds good :)
11:45
<annevk>
jungkees: again, at some point we should be more clear on the rules and all the various types, but structs holding IDL types should be okay
11:45
<jungkees>
annevk: okay
11:51
<gsnedders>
nox: how much is this blocking you btw?
11:53
<nox>
gsnedders: It's not. I'm just very confused why it would happen. Pay me no mind.
11:55
<gsnedders>
nox: ack
15:17
<wanderview>
JakeA: sorry if I'm being confusing... I don't really want FetchEvent to be a unique snowflake... but I thought there were objections from other people (annevk?) to more widely observing the state of event handlers
15:18
<wanderview>
JakeA: it would be nice to have some common api to "enableEvent('fetch')" or "disableEvent('message')", etc
15:20
<JakeA>
wanderview: I'm not against that API, although I worry about the amount of state we're adding to service workers. Maybe it's fine. But with the Facebook case I'm wondering if we went too narrow with navigation preload, and perhaps we should make it just fetchPreload, where "navigation" is an option
15:20
<JakeA>
Trying to understand their problem better
15:22
<wanderview>
JakeA: I don't fully know their use cases, but it feels like some of the problem is that things are just not optimized well in browsers well for what they want... not sure I want to add too many weird apis to work around problems that might get resolved as we fix perf issues
15:23
<JakeA>
wanderview: agreed
15:23
<JakeA>
wanderview: once we understand the problem fully, we'll be in a better position to decide if this is a Chrome-world problem, or something that can never be fast and we need to offer another path
15:24
<wanderview>
JakeA: I don't think FF is immune to these problems either
15:25
<wanderview>
JakeA: we've started collecting SW start times more explicitly: https://mzl.la/2wh9v2G
15:25
<wanderview>
95-percentile is kind of crazy
15:26
<wanderview>
oh wait... thats the submissions line
15:26
<wanderview>
https://mzl.la/2wg5qfe
16:37
<jyasskin>
I wish *.specs.whatwg.org would redirect to *.spec.whatwg.org.
17:28
<annevk>
wanderview: I generally think that's a bad thing, but for service workers that ship has sailed
17:28
<annevk>
jyasskin: file an issue at https://github.com/whatwg/misc-server/issues/new?
17:29
<annevk>
jyasskin: should be doable, although maybe we should wait for let's encrypt to support wildcards
17:29
<jyasskin>
annevk: Thanks for the pointer.
19:28
<nox>
Is it just me or everything about the fetching of the poster frame of video elements has some hand-waving?
19:29
<nox>
I expected it to be piggy-backing the wording on the image element in some sort. Not just "If an image is thus obtained, the poster frame is that image. Otherwise, there is no poster frame."
20:54
<tobie>
foolip: hoping onto irc as this will be easier to solve if we're sync
20:54
<tobie>
foolip: so what I think you should do is merge the WICG PR first.
20:54
<foolip>
tobie: here I am
20:55
<foolip>
I can't do that, need someone with write access to that repo
20:55
<tobie>
foolip: oh. :D
20:55
<foolip>
cwilso: ^
20:56
<tobie>
cwilso: this is https://github.com/WICG/admin/pull/36
20:56
<foolip>
or perhaps yoav? ^
20:57
<foolip>
tobie: do the BIGNAMES need to be globally unique?
20:57
<tobie>
foolip: yes
20:57
<foolip>
huh, well OK
20:58
<tobie>
foolip: AND they need to persist from update to update
20:58
<foolip>
Then what'll we do with the old one? Delete it manually?
20:59
<tobie>
foolip: moving stuff from org to org is super rare, so we're in mostly unchartered territories, here.
20:59
<tobie>
foolip: we'll probably need to do it manually
20:59
<foolip>
ok, but wicg->w3c must be pretty common?
20:59
<tobie>
maybe?
20:59
<foolip>
tobie: is most wicg stuff just not in specref, given the short biblio.json there?
21:00
<tobie>
foolip: I dunno
21:00
<tobie>
foolip: it might be that most don't need to be referenced until they move to W3C
21:01
<jyasskin>
foolip: WICG is recent, so it could be that you're one of the first to do that migration.
21:01
<foolip>
jyasskin: the first whatwg->wicg for sure, yes
21:01
<foolip>
but it seems like wicg things in general just aren't added to specref, unless I'm missing something
21:02
<tobie>
foolip: for context, specref is massive ball of scotch tape + band aid
21:02
<foolip>
tobie: and here I am trying to build something robust and cool on top of it
21:02
<tobie>
foolip: for which I have pretty much not time
21:02
<foolip>
tobie: https://foolip.github.io/day-to-day/ is the thing
21:03
<tobie>
foolip: there's a whole bunch of pretty robust things built on top of specref
21:03
<foolip>
tobie: how can I filter for "real" specs, is that an unsolved problem?
21:03
<tobie>
foolip: define "real"
21:04
<foolip>
tobie: specs that define CSS properties, IDL or HTTP headers
21:04
<tobie>
that's not going to happen
21:04
<tobie>
:D
21:04
<foolip>
Uh, which would make ecmascript not a real spec I guess
21:04
<tobie>
BUT, if you're working on something wpt-related
21:05
<foolip>
tobie: it is wpt-related, and the non-trivial bit if figuring out which directories in wpt correspond to each spec
21:05
<jyasskin>
foolip: Have you talked to TabAtkins? Shepherd has a list of at least CSS and IDL-providing specs.
21:05
<tobie>
foolip: that should be rather trivial
21:05
<tobie>
foolip: as the tagging there is Specref-based
21:06
<cwilso>
*wakes up*
21:06
<cwilso>
foolip: merged
21:06
<tobie>
cwilso: ty
21:06
<foolip>
cwilso: thank!
21:06
<TabAtkins>
foolip: Ooh, that day-to-day thing is cool
21:06
<foolip>
TabAtkins: glad you like it, trying to make it not suck and then include many more specs
21:07
cwilso
was literally off getting coffee. :)
21:07
<foolip>
TabAtkins: ignoring specs that nobody probably cares about isn't entirely trivial it seems. would sheperd help?
21:07
<TabAtkins>
foolip: To check for things defining CSS or IDL, you can always pull the Bikeshed datafiles and read over the definitions to see what specs define them.
21:07
<TabAtkins>
Or use Bikeshed directly, so you can use its parsing/etc.
21:08
<tobie>
foolip: if you know the directory of a test in wpt, then you know its specref id
21:08
<TabAtkins>
Oh yeah, and I do have a dfn type for headers, so that should theoretically work too.
21:08
<foolip>
TabAtkins: yes, I am cloning all the repos anyway, could probably work it out somehow
21:09
<foolip>
tobie: there are exceptions that I'm having to deal with, like webrtc-pc vs webrtc, and HTML's many directories
21:09
<TabAtkins>
You can just iterate thru the refs, checking if they're a dfn type you want to care about, and collecting the specs they're associate with. Then you can check the spec db to get their URLs. This doesn't translate over into GitHubs, tho.
21:09
<foolip>
TabAtkins: iterating over shepherd, you mean?
21:10
<foolip>
I'm now working from something that guesses the git URL from the spec's URL, which I think will work with very few exceptions
21:10
<TabAtkins>
Nah, over Bikeshed's db.
21:10
<tobie>
foolip: well obviously the webrtc folks are doing their thing
21:10
<foolip>
tobie: it was probably the right name once upon a time
21:10
<tobie>
foolip: in which case it should still be in specref
21:11
<foolip>
tobie: maybe?
21:11
<TabAtkins>
Boot up a reference manager (check cli.py, under the `command == "refs"` section, for how to do that), then call `.queryRefs(type="property")`/etc.
21:11
<foolip>
tobie: are you only using biblio.json and similar, or also crawling around github orgs for new repos?
21:11
<TabAtkins>
The specs db is in ReferanceManager.specs, it's just a dictionary of spec names => spec info; it'll match up with the `spec` data field in the refs.
21:12
<tobie>
foolip: not doing crawling
21:13
<tobie>
foolip: just poking the different ref sources hourly
21:14
<foolip>
tobie: mkay, well it mostly works, so thank you :)
21:15
<tobie>
foolip: for ref, here's the code that handles the labeling for wpt: https://github.com/tobie/ganesh/blob/master/lib/metadata/raw-labels.js
21:16
<tobie>
foolip: should probably include webrtc-pc in there
21:17
<Mek>
of course wpt labels aren't exactly the same as specs (in particular for a bunch of stuff that is defined in whatwg html, but in separate wpt directories)
21:17
<foolip>
tobie: hmm, looks like a wpt dir -> shortname mapping?
21:18
<tobie>
foolip: yes
21:18
<tobie>
Mek: yeah-that's sort of subar
21:18
<foolip>
tobie: I guess I could start from wpt and work out what specs they belong to, but doing it the other way also allows me to discover specs with no wpt dirs, which I could then rectify
21:18
<tobie>
subpar
21:19
<foolip>
basically I'm going for a 1 spec repo + dir => many test repo + dir mapping
21:20
<foolip>
(css is all one repo, hence the +dir)
21:20
<foolip>
we'll see, hacking away
21:20
<tobie>
foolip: css is organized by shortname within that repo
21:20
<foolip>
tobie: well, with the complication of versioned directories
21:20
<tobie>
they all match, iirc, gsnedders fixed them
21:21
<foolip>
which is also a complication for the specs themselves of course
21:21
<tobie>
foolip: I've given up on trying to make sense of how the CSSWG organizes its work
21:21
<tobie>
(Sorry Tab)
21:21
<foolip>
TabAtkins: please tell us it's actually very simple to understand :)
21:22
<TabAtkins>
Not a clue, ask fantasai and gsnedders I guess.
21:22
<foolip>
TabAtkins: ha, gsnedders just rants about versioned directories like me, no help there
21:22
<foolip>
I guess it's down to fantasai
21:22
<TabAtkins>
Oh wait, is this about WPT specifically, or just our spec organization in general?
21:23
<tobie>
Sort of both
21:23
<foolip>
TabAtkins: I was just building my little toy, the only thing I want to do with it now is map specs to tests
21:23
<tobie>
and additionally whether and how they map
21:24
<foolip>
although another thing I'd like to do is find specs that don't link to wpt and fix those
21:24
<foolip>
if they all did then I'd have my mapping right there
21:24
<tobie>
foolip: well if they have tests elsewhere, no one runs them so…
21:24
<tobie>
foolip: outside of ES + WebGL(?)
21:25
<foolip>
tobie: wasm too
21:25
<foolip>
and yes, webgl is still external
21:25
<tobie>
wasm has a spec?
21:25
<tobie>
:D
21:25
tobie
ducks
21:25
<foolip>
tobie: dunno, when I go look for it I usually find things aimed at web developers
21:26
<TabAtkins>
tobie: There is a spec, yes. It's currently written in some tool intended for Python library documentation.
21:26
<foolip>
https://webassembly.github.io/spec/
21:26
<tobie>
TabAtkins: I know, we've just added more legacy stuff to WebIDL for it
21:26
<TabAtkins>
I and some wasm folks tried our damnedest to make it be in Bikeshed, but apparently Andreas has the final say for some reason, and he demanded it.
21:28
<tobie>
foolip: if the goal is to move everything to wpt, which imho it should be, then you shouldn't incentivize folks to do their own thing on the side by helping them out with tooling
21:28
<tobie>
foolip: unless there are very good reasons to do so, obv
21:30
<tobie>
foolip: so I work up from wpt and eventually manually add stuff that's not in it for good reasons
21:30
<tobie>
foolip: but that's just my $.02
21:32
<foolip>
tobie: I'm actually not convinced that wpt should devour everything, or at least not be the source of truth for everything
21:33
<foolip>
tobie: because v8 is a separate project from chromium, and I think they should be able to change test262 together with their code
21:33
<tobie>
foolip: yeah test262 doesn't belong in wpt
21:33
<foolip>
tobie: which could mean mirroring in one wpt directory into v8, but mirroring test262 itself would also work
21:34
<tobie>
foolip: not sure about wasm and/or WebGL
21:34
<tobie>
foolip: these three exceptions can work for all I care
21:34
<tobie>
foolip: and can be handled manually
21:34
<tobie>
(imho)
21:34
<foolip>
tobie: once the infrastructure around wpt is compelling enough I doubt we'll be accumulating more exceptions
21:35
<tobie>
foolip: agreed
21:54
<foolip>
tobie: where should I report bugs in https://www.w3.org/2002/01/tr-automation/tr.rdf?
22:03
<tobie>
foolip: sysreq⊙wo
22:03
<foolip>
tobie: thanks
22:13
<tobie>
foolip: alright; merged and closed a bunch of things
22:14
<tobie>
foolip: gave you commit rights to the repo and now going back to webidl mixins
22:14
<foolip>
tobie: awesome, I'll try not to delete it
22:15
<tobie>
nothing gets merged to heroku unless the test suite is green
22:16
<tobie>
foolip: so the risks of you doing anything bad beyond wasting my time are pretty low
22:16
<foolip>
tobie: I'll have to apply myself then
22:19
<tobie>
foolip: disabling travis isn't rocket science, so…