04:11
<MikeSmith>
TabAtkins: so the HTML spec directly references the definition of the 'overflow' property in the "CSS Overflow" spec
04:11
<MikeSmith>
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/infrastructure.html#'overflow';
04:11
<MikeSmith>
but it links to https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow/#propdef-overflow
04:12
<MikeSmith>
however that link is broken
04:12
<MikeSmith>
because that "CSS Overflow" doesn’t actually define the 'overflow' property
04:13
<MikeSmith>
instead it seems the definition is at https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#propdef-overflow
04:13
<MikeSmith>
CSS Overflow Module Level 3
04:14
<MikeSmith>
so now I am wondering what we should do for the HTML spec
04:14
<MikeSmith>
should I change the HTML spec to reference CSS Overflow Module Level 3 instead?
04:16
<MikeSmith>
but if I do, is CSS Overflow Module Level 3 eventually going to become obsolete/stale/unmaintained, and the current/up-to-date/maintained spec will always be https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow and the 'overflow' property definition will eventually move back there?
04:34
<tantek>
those are good questions MikeSmith and I don't know the answer (and I feel I should)
04:40
<MikeSmith>
tantek: OK glad I’m not the only one :)
04:40
<tantek>
I figured I could help in that respect :)
04:40
<MikeSmith>
heh
04:41
<MikeSmith>
anyway in general it seems like we ideally want to be able to reference a definition at one place in a long-lived spec that’s going to continue to be maintained
04:42
<MikeSmith>
or to put it in other specific terms, ideally we don’t want the content of https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow to get replaced by some partial version of what was there before
04:43
<MikeSmith>
and don’t want what was there before to move to https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3 and break the references
04:43
<MikeSmith>
because I am guessing that is what has happened here
04:53
<astearns>
we shouldn't be redirecting the non-versioned link to a diff spec, which looks to be what's happening here
04:55
<astearns>
https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow should be the safe URL to use, and it should be going to the level 3 draft until we make the level 4 draft a strict superset of level 2
04:55
<astearns>
s/2/3/
08:07
<MikeSmith>
astearns: OK, thanks
08:08
<MikeSmith>
but then still not sure what I should do in order to fix the broken reference in the HTML spec
08:10
<MikeSmith>
also, anybody know why in *Value:* row of https://drafts.csswg.org/css-overflow-3/#propdef-overflow the ‘hidden’ and ‘scroll’ values are not hyperlinks?
08:43
<gsnedders>
so what makes it hard to keep one a strict superset of the other?
08:43
<gsnedders>
plenty of software projects deal fine with long-lived branches
08:44
<gsnedders>
but admittedly they use VCS branches to manage them instead of having to copy/paste patches across directories
10:26
<annevk>
rbyers: ping for https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3016
12:40
<annevk>
jochen__: I filed https://github.com/w3c/webappsec-suborigins/issues/73 based on my recollection
14:30
<astearns>
gsnedders: it's mainly just to reduce copy/paste, particularly when a lower level is still going through a good rate of change. We park newer/less polished stuff in the next level as a diff of the lower level so that we don't have to make the lower level changes in two places.
15:26
<rbyers>
annevk: Sorry I missed this, will ask the input team to take a look.
16:00
<jyasskin>
MikeSmith: If HTML were a Bikeshed spec or pulled references from Shepherd, then just rebuilding would be sufficient, but of course it's not.
19:59
<TabAtkins>
MikeSmith: Yeah, Overflow 4 is currently a delta spec, only defining some new features on top of Overflow 3. When the features in 3 are stable and the spec matures, we'll move active development to 4, fleshing it out with the downlevel stuff from 3.
19:59
<TabAtkins>
(see https://www.w3.org/TR/css-overflow-4/#overflow-properties for where 'overflow' will go afterwards)
20:00
<TabAtkins>
While it's a delta spec, it probably shouldn't be the target for the unlevelled URL, tho - I'll check with Florian and get that switched, so your link will stay good.
20:00
<TabAtkins>
Ah, astearns already said that, cool.
20:01
<tantek>
TabAtkins: do we have a redirect for /TR/css-overflow setup to redirect to the latest "complete" (non-delta) version on TR?
20:01
<tantek>
so people don't have to worry about updating from css-modulename-n to css-modulename-nplus1
20:01
<TabAtkins>
https://www.w3.org/TR/css-overflow/ 404s, so not yet
20:01
<tantek>
well then perhaps we should, for all css-modulename-n
20:02
<TabAtkins>
I guess we havent' done a pub on that in a bit, so we haven't bothered to correct the record.
20:02
<TabAtkins>
Yes, that's part of the publishing plan for all of TR - check spec-prod from I think July?
20:02
<tantek>
astearns: ^^^ would be interested in your thinking on that, use-case is being able to normatively reference a property (or value) where it is canonically defined and not having that link break over time
20:04
<TabAtkins>
Ah, a shifting link based on the property db perhaps?
20:13
<tantek>
TabAtkins: well that would be even more powerful / robust (for if/when a property moves between specs)
20:19
<TabAtkins>
tantek: I mean, that sort of thing is definitely possible.
20:20
<tantek>
https://www.w3.org/TR/css-property/color
21:05
<smaug____>
Domenic: curious, is https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/issues/635 waiting for something?
21:06
<Domenic>
smaug____: https://github.com/w3c/webcomponents/issues/635#issuecomment-297516487
21:07
<smaug____>
Domenic: you're still waiting for more feedback from bz?
21:07
<Domenic>
No, "This is simply because I haven't had time to get back to that general problem area and come up with any alternatives that I can compare with his proposal."
21:07
<smaug____>
ah, that, ok
21:07
<smaug____>
yeah, we're implementing something
21:08
<Domenic>
Yeah, everyone is, presumably, but in general it appears nobody agrees on error reporting in multiple globals in general
21:08
<smaug____>
it is just that I can't quite review the patch since I don't know what is the right thing to do
21:08
<Domenic>
Doing whatever feels consistent within your implementation makes sense to me for now
21:08
<Domenic>
One day we'll have time to figure it out
21:10
<smaug____>
not what I'm comfortable when reviewing patches :/
21:10
<smaug____>
but I guess I'll have to live with that