07:47
<nox>
gsnedders: Don't know if you remember our past discussion about timeouts and load events,
07:47
<nox>
gsnedders: "By default the test harness will assume there are no more results to come when: * There are no Test objects that have been created but not completed * The load event on the document has fired"
07:47
<nox>
So that seems like if you delay the load event indefinitely, the test will timeout.
09:22
<JakeA>
annevk: Is it ok for specs to say "A {{Whatever}} object represents a [=whatever=]", where whatever is a concept, or should it be "A {{Whatever}} has a [=Whatever/whatever=] (a [=/whatever=])"
09:23
<JakeA>
The latter feels more precise. We went that way with headers in the fetch spec and it felt more precise and easier to reference.
09:23
<annevk>
JakeA: the former is okay if it's nothing else
09:23
<annevk>
JakeA: but if you then also add additional fields, it gets confusing
09:24
<JakeA>
annevk: yeah, results in a lot of text like "Let |foo| be {{Whatever}}'s associated [=whatever=]", which is difficult to track through the spec
09:24
<annevk>
JakeA: though in case of the former the question becomes why not flatten whatever into {{Whatever}}?
09:25
<JakeA>
annevk: because [=whatever=] can exist without {{Whatever}}
09:25
<annevk>
JakeA: e.g. DOM doesn't have a concept for elements and an Element object, it just has the latter
09:26
<JakeA>
annevk: In this case [=whatever=] is part of storage, and {{Whatever}} is an instance that exposes it
09:26
<annevk>
JakeA: okay, I think it's fine to just say represent then
09:26
<JakeA>
annevk: gotcha, cheers
09:26
<annevk>
Notification has something similar, but a tad more complex
09:26
<annevk>
There it's a M:1 relationship
09:27
<JakeA>
annevk: I've been pretty specific about it in background fetch https://wicg.github.io/background-fetch/#backgroundfetchregistration-background-fetch, but I can revisit that
09:28
<annevk>
JakeA: I think being specific is better
09:29
<annevk>
JakeA: I suspect that once we have internal slots we'll end up refactoring everything to use those, but there might be a case for some variant where an object exposes a concept 1:1
09:30
<JakeA>
annevk: I'm not familiar with internal slots, is there somewhere I can read up on those?
09:30
<annevk>
JakeA: it's the [[slot]] notation ECMAScript uses for private fields of objects
09:31
<annevk>
JakeA: I've been lobbying to get something like that in IDL so we can stop with the informal "has an associated" language and actually define the private object layout more formally
09:31
<annevk>
JakeA: https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/258
09:32
<JakeA>
Cheers!
11:09
<gsnedders>
nox: oh well
11:10
<gsnedders>
nox: if that's a problem, we should just add an explicit harness done function
11:54
<nox>
gsnedders: It’s not a problem. It’s just that this fact was my only explanation for a timeout in Servo.
11:54
<nox>
And it would have made me anxious if that wasn’t the actual cause of that timeout.
12:35
<annevk>
Pretty happy with https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7159#section-8.1
12:39
<smaug____>
annevk: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1403441#c13 ok so the plan is to actually modify session history. Drop the entries which have some state
12:41
<annevk>
smaug____: well that's my proposal, otherwise they can be used as a way to revive state
12:41
<smaug____>
sure, that is fine. I just wanted to make sure I understood the proposal.
12:42
<annevk>
kk
12:42
<smaug____>
So basically remove all the other entries except the first one for the domain
12:42
<smaug____>
or something like that
12:42
<annevk>
Oh, the RFC reading that way might be because of https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Nov/0074.html
12:42
<annevk>
I forgot I got myself involved somehow
12:55
<nox>
https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/blob/master/html/semantics/embedded-content/media-elements/event_loadeddata.html#L29 Cute.
13:36
<Ms2ger>
Oops
13:39
<Ms2ger>
Broken in https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/commit/1f1f813f93dd1084ea3656dec3f8907507e1bf34
13:40
<Ms2ger>
Seems like it's the only case
13:59
<wanderview>
JakeA: I can fix this range request result you saw on FF: "fetch(event.request) - seems to lose the range header somewhere, so it appears like the 200 result above"
13:59
<wanderview>
JakeA: but wondering if I should just wait
14:00
<JakeA>
wanderview: depends how you fix it. I think we only want APIs to be able to set that header
14:00
<Domenic>
Bikeshedding/style question, input from spec consumers welcome https://github.com/whatwg/meta/issues/41
14:00
<wanderview>
JakeA: I was going to set a hidden value on the Request... it would only get used if directly passed through... not persisted in Cache API, etc
14:02
<JakeA>
wanderview: yeah, I support that landing :D
14:03
<wanderview>
JakeA: the weird thing is if its really a Range header or something else... I'm confused now
14:03
<JakeA>
Pretty sure it's a range header, unless we're talking about different things
14:04
<wanderview>
JakeA: I meant in firefox we might be doing something different to ask for a range request instead of adding a header at that API point
14:04
<wanderview>
JakeA: like our "ResumeAt()" method which asks for maybe a range if its matches the previous response
14:04
<annevk>
Ms2ger: we have those "terms used from other specs" indexes with Bikeshed; perhaps that is indeed sufficient
14:06
<annevk>
TabAtkins: in case you didn't see Domenic's message above, your input on https://github.com/whatwg/meta/issues/41 would be appreciated
14:06
<annevk>
TabAtkins: seems like something you might have thought about given Bikeshed
14:11
<TabAtkins>
Thanks for the reference.
15:00
<Ms2ger>
annevk, oh, I looked at Fetch and didn't see it
15:18
<wanderview>
JakeA: I have to say, after using async functions and await a lot recently... I really like the decision not to put abort() on the fetch() promise
15:50
<JakeA>
wanderview: yeah, I think the model we have now is pretty good
15:50
<JakeA>
I love async/await too
16:44
<jyasskin>
JakeA: 2 cents re "represents a [=whatever=]": If the rest of the spec says "associated [=whatever=]", I'd like that to be a link to somewhere that talks about how the [=whatever=] gets associated. https://wicg.github.io/background-fetch/#backgroundfetchregistration-background-fetch is great IMO, but I've seen some specs by other people that are much less clear.
16:45
<jyasskin>
webidl#258 is even better when we get it.
19:03
<rniwa>
Domenic: yt?
19:07
<Domenic>
rniwa: yeah
19:08
<rniwa>
Domenic: who works on geolocation stuff these days at Google?
19:09
<Domenic>
rniwa: not sure, let me check around a bit and ask if there's no clear docs...
19:09
<rniwa>
Domenic: thanks
19:19
<Domenic>
(I found the person who used to own it and they redirected me to their most likely guess for who now owns it; currently waiting for that second person to confirm or redirect me again...)
19:23
Mek
wouldn't be surprised if the answer is "nobody"...
19:31
<JakeA>
jyasskin: cheers!
20:02
<scheib>
rniwa: Oh Hi, https://www.chromium.org/teams/device-team is looking after Geolocation now.
20:02
<scheib>
(I'm on that team)
21:03
<Domenic>
omg upcoming Web IDL mixins are so good. https://github.com/heycam/webidl/pull/433
21:03
<Domenic>
so much simpler and better suited for their purpose
21:03
<Domenic>
So many Web IDL confusions just gone
21:13
<TabAtkins>
Agreed!
21:58
<jyasskin>
Domenic: https://github.com/travis-ci/dpl/pull/695 will make auto-gh-pages much simpler.
21:59
<jyasskin>
We'll be able to completely replace deploy.sh with https://github.com/jyasskin/testing/blob/master/.travis.yml
21:59
<Domenic>
jyasskin: oh wow, brilliant move
21:59
<jyasskin>
Domenic: The one maybe-downside is that their script doesn't keep any history in gh-pages. Do you think that matters?
22:00
<Domenic>
Now I'm feeling a little sad I never converted my gist into a blog post and garnered all the internet blog fame, but oh well, too late now!
22:00
<Domenic>
Hmm
22:00
<jyasskin>
Heh
22:00
<Domenic>
I used to not keep history
22:00
<Domenic>
But I like having it
22:00
<Domenic>
And it's not that hard
22:00
<Domenic>
Maybe worth modifying their script?
22:01
<jyasskin>
Yeah. I nominate you to write that PR. ;)
23:35
<rniwa>
scheib: hello
23:35
<rniwa>
scheib: are you still there?
23:39
<scheib>
rniwa: Yes about 10min
23:53
<jyasskin>
Is there a best practice for saying "specs that depend on this one need to do X"? https://w3c.github.io/webappsec-credential-management/#credential-internal-methods currently says "derived interfaces MUST override ...", but it's not really correct to MUST another specification.