02:03
<sangwhan>
Think ondras is asking if there is no openssl -pubout equivalent, not having that isn't critical but having it is probably useful. I don't know any algorithms where this would be impossible, so not sure if there is a really good excuse for not having it aside from it not being a wide audience API
06:26
<annevk>
Domenic: GPHemsley: I’m thinking we should add a MIMEType object too, in due course
06:26
<annevk>
Once all other questions are resolved
06:39
<ondras>
sangwhan: my case: the client will be generating a keypair, sending the pubkey to the server, storing the privkey in localStorage to sign stuff later.
06:39
<ondras>
sangwhan: my point is, whether I need to store the pubkey in localStorage as well (if the server needs it again), or if it is derivable from the (already stored) privkey
07:32
<tobie>
Is there some kind of solution to add footnotes (or similar) to Bikeshed?
07:34
<tobie>
E.g. to link the (a) in https://heycam.github.io/webidl/#distinguishable-table to it's description right below.
07:35
<tobie>
I have a bunch of other cases in the spec where this would be useful. It doable by hand, but then it implies scoping identifiers somehow, which is error prone.
07:36
<tobie>
TabAtkins: ^
07:44
<tobie>
TabAtkins: I *think* that boils down to (1) an incrementing integer (e.g. <sup><a href="#path-to-note">[INT++]</a></sup>), and (2) some form of mechanism to go back to where the footnote was referenced, similar to what's already in place with DFNs and the like.
07:44
<tobie>
TabAtkins: also maybe this is completely overkill.
08:16
<freesamael>
annevk: Do you know if there's a defined session history entry limit in the spec, or the 50 entries limit is just an implementation practice happened to be used in most browsers?
08:16
<freesamael>
(I couldn't find the defined limit in spec)
08:19
<annevk>
freesamael: I haven't seen a defined a limit
08:19
<annevk>
freesamael: generally we leave that up to impl, unless it becomes a compat problem (such as with redirects, where we do define a limit)
08:20
<freesamael>
annevk: I see. Thx.
08:49
<tobie>
annevk: mind giving https://github.com/heycam/webidl/pull/459 a quick double check ?
08:53
<annevk>
acks are sorted on last name?
08:53
<annevk>
weird
08:54
<annevk>
tobie: it looks good except I'd drop "CSS"
08:54
<annevk>
tobie: since the technology is selectors and it's supposedly independent from CSS (even though everyone calls it CSS selectors)
08:55
<tobie>
annevk: apparently (wrt to acks sort order)
08:55
<annevk>
(well, not just supposedly, these days there's DOM APIs)
08:55
<tobie>
Should I add a [[selectors4]] reference?
08:59
<annevk>
tobie: I'd drop the 4 if you do
09:00
<tobie>
yes, obv.
09:00
<annevk>
tobie: it probably makes sense since you don't want to assume too much knowledge from the reader
09:00
<annevk>
this might be an interesting example for that reference discussion
09:01
<tobie>
annevk: that said, the syntax error is actually thrown from DOM, not SELECTORS
09:01
<annevk>
tobie: you could ref DOM instead, since it has all the relevant info
09:02
<tobie>
annevk: by "reference discussion" do you mean the "footnotes" I was mentioning above?
09:02
<annevk>
tobie: I don't see the assert discussed in https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/118 in the commit that closed the issue
09:03
<annevk>
tobie: https://github.com/whatwg/meta/issues/41
09:03
<tobie>
annevk: yes, filed https://github.com/heycam/webidl/issues/449 for that
09:05
<annevk>
cool
09:14
<kochi>
annevk: tobie: thanks!
09:15
<tobie>
kochi: thank you!
09:15
<tobie>
kochi: also see the PR I sent to DOM
09:16
<kochi>
tobie: whatwg/dom#518?
09:16
<tobie>
kochi: yes
09:16
<tobie>
kochi: as imho that's the root of the initial confusion.
09:17
<kochi>
tobie: absolutely. thanks for doing all the stuff.
09:23
<kochi>
tobie: as already annevk reviewed the PR, I don't have anything to add and it looks great to me.
10:36
<annevk>
JakeA: sorry, I missed that you wanted my review on those SW abort tests
10:36
<annevk>
JakeA: I'm not really sure I'm the right candidate, but I'll look through them
10:36
<JakeA>
annevk: no worries, I only pushed them a day ago I think
10:38
<annevk>
JakeA: says 4 days here
10:38
<JakeA>
annevk: shit, time flies
10:38
<annevk>
JakeA: oh my, I'm confusing days and commits
10:38
<annevk>
Further evidence I'm not qualified
10:39
<JakeA>
haha well I just took your world for it
10:39
<JakeA>
word*
11:19
<annevk>
JakeA: thanks for commenting on that push thing
11:19
<annevk>
JakeA: we should indeed do the lower-level thing first
11:20
<annevk>
(but someone should also figure out if we want to keep the current architecture where a push is tied to the connection)
11:27
<JakeA>
annevk: no problem! I think the push cache has to sit beyond the HTTP cache, otherwise it risks skipping stuff like CSP.
11:55
<annevk>
foolip: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues/7693 would be nice for the roadmap
11:55
<annevk>
foolip: there's some other older issues in w3c/wptserve too that are still relevant I guess
13:14
<TabAtkins>
tobie: Not currently, no. For now, just link it manually. Feel free to open an issue tho - if we can collect results I can see if there's a pattern that would be useful to capture.
13:15
<tobie>
TabAtkins: thanks
14:43
<wanderview>
annevk: JakeA: is there a reason we can't use the WebSockets API on top of H2 under the hood? aren't network layers a useful abstraction? just curious about some of the motivations
14:44
<annevk>
wanderview: I think it's because nobody defined how it would work
14:45
<annevk>
wanderview: WebSocket now is an HTTP/1 handshake followed by framed data over a single connection
14:46
<annevk>
wanderview: to do it over HTTP/2 would require new H/2 frames or layering on top of H/2 frames, I'd imagine
14:48
<wanderview>
hmm
14:49
<JakeA>
Didn't someone draft that?
14:49
<JakeA>
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hirano-httpbis-websocket-over-http2-01
14:49
<JakeA>
But it was abandoned
14:52
<annevk>
Give me full-duplex fetch first and then we'll see if we still need WebSocket or just smaller frames in H2
14:53
<JakeA>
agree
14:53
<JakeA>
d
14:57
<wanderview>
JakeA: oh, alex linked to that in his gist
16:12
<wanderview>
annevk: JakeA: if we did do `.src = Response()` type integration... would you want it to be `.src` or `.srcobj`?
16:15
<annevk>
wanderview: prolly the latter for consistency with existing APIs and to not break things that assume .src is a string
16:16
<annevk>
wanderview: I totally forgot that was something I volunteered for looking into; I'll have a look tomorrow, but it might be a while
16:16
<wanderview>
annevk: its ok... not like I have time to implement it (although it may not be that hard)
16:17
<wanderview>
annevk: if we could tap into the same `respondWith()` resolved a Response logic it might be dead easy
16:22
<wanderview>
annevk: nothing is on the SW TPAC agenda yet... I guess I could try to propose something there
16:44
<annevk>
wanderview: which APIs were you thinking anyway? For <audio> and <video> there's quite a simple entry point; I suspect for <img> it would be quite involved specification-wise
16:46
<wanderview>
annevk: I was thinking for everything... if it supports a ServiceWorker interception/respondWith() it seems like we should be able to manually synthesize a response... was my naive thinking
16:48
<annevk>
wanderview: makes sense, though I suspect we'll have some different challenges for each endpoint, even though if you imagine a service worker it's rather easy
18:11
<annevk>
Maybe I should start blocking email that copies mailing lists
21:56
<tantek>
has anyone heard of the disableRemotePlayback attribute?
21:56
<tantek>
or seen / read the Remote Playback API spec? https://w3c.github.io/remote-playback/