06:44
<MikeSmith>
botie, inform zcorpan about “Consider restricting <form accept-charset> to utf-8” https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3097 would it help if I added a use counter to the HTML checker?
06:44
<botie>
will do
06:48
<botie>
zcorpan, at 2017-12-19 06:44 UTC, MikeSmith said: “Consider restricting <form accept-charset> to utf-8” https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3097 would it help if I added a use counter to the HTML checker?
06:57
<domfarolino>
Domenic: Oh sorry was on mobile didn't see your message about #27
06:58
<domfarolino>
Agreed, forgot about that issue I'll get on it
08:26
<annevk>
kochi: any thoughts on the date for the F2F?
08:27
<annevk>
kochi: I guess the week of March 5?
08:37
<kochi>
annevk: yeah, the week of Feb.26-Mar.3 have conflicts with Domenic and Ryosuke, so March 5 sounds good.
08:38
<annevk>
kochi: bit unfortunate for Tom Dale and the location change might also not be great for framework developers :/
08:39
<annevk>
kochi: hopefully we can work out a better plan for that next time
08:39
<kochi>
annevk: yeah, but if we arrange properly, people can remotely dial-in/VC?
08:39
<annevk>
kochi: it might mean that we can't make much progress on new things
08:39
<annevk>
kochi: yeah maybe
08:40
<kochi>
so still I guess many are from US, Toronto would be best option?
08:43
<kochi>
annevk: how bad is it to set the date from Mar.5 - Mar.6? It would make people move on Sunday, so Mar. 6-7 ?
08:43
<annevk>
kochi: well, not if there's all kinds of travel trouble
08:43
<annevk>
kochi: 6-7 seems ok to me
08:44
<annevk>
kochi: Mozilla has a slight preference for Tokyo at this point (we might have 6 people attend)
08:44
<annevk>
kochi: but we'll make it work either way
08:44
<kochi>
annevk: wow, I didn't feel Tokyo was so preferred <3
08:46
<kochi>
of course the best option for me is Tokyo, but considering everyone's travel, and timezone (some people might dial-in), I thought it would be the least option :)
08:49
<kochi>
annevk: In that case, as Ryosuke mentioned Tokyo is an option, let me propose Tokyo in the issue tracker?
08:49
<zcorpan>
MikeSmith: Maybe, if you know how to interpret the result of that data. The usage is pretty low per httparchive, but also it's sort of an opt-out mechanism, so it might be more useful to understand why it's being used.
08:50
<annevk>
kochi: sure
08:51
<kochi>
annevk: okay, then Tokyo, Mar. 6-7 is the primary option, and if no strong opposition is heard, let's go for the date/location.
08:53
<annevk>
kochi: k, maybe update the top post too
08:54
<kochi>
annevk: sure
09:05
<smaug____>
kochi: Tokyo sounds ok to me. I might travel to Taipei from there, or first to Taipei and then Tokyo.
09:08
<kochi>
thanks everyone!
10:24
<annevk>
miketaylr: hmm, I guess we forgot to talk about srcElement et al
14:46
<wanderview>
JakeA: damn it, your tests are better than mine
14:47
<JakeA>
wanderview: haha are you absolutely sure?
14:47
<wanderview>
no
14:47
<JakeA>
haha
14:47
<wanderview>
JakeA: but you have more of them
14:48
<wanderview>
bugzilla is sad today, so might not even be able to see our test
14:53
<annevk>
Domenic: I'll have a look at blog posts for "good first bug"
14:53
<annevk>
Domenic: please ping me if you're already on it
14:55
<annevk>
Domenic: https://blog.whatwg.org/github is updated
14:56
<annevk>
Domenic: https://blog.whatwg.org/html-standard-now-more-community-driven as well
15:00
<tantek>
annevk any chance that the old /web-apps/current-work/multipage links could be fixed to redirect to the right page rather than just the top of html.spec.whatwg.org ?
15:00
<tantek>
or maybe I should just file an issue
15:02
<annevk>
tantek: against https://github.com/whatwg/whatwg.org
15:02
<annevk>
tantek: they should redirect properly so yeah, that'd be a bug of sorts
15:02
<tantek>
ok
15:13
<tantek>
done: with example: https://github.com/whatwg/whatwg.org/issues/142
15:33
<annevk>
thanks
16:16
<annevk>
Domenic: the other issue with non-custom translate was that it would appear in a different place from custom commits and issues
16:16
<Domenic>
annevk: fixed via the new ordering thing
16:17
<annevk>
Domenic: okay
16:21
<Domenic>
annevk: if we can get TabAtkins to merge the Bikeshed PR do you think we can merge the whatwg/url boilerplate update commit? Or do you want to wait on figuring out LICENSE vs. LICENSE.md?
16:21
<Domenic>
Basically I want to figure out if I should work on the other 10-ish PRs, or hold off.
16:22
<annevk>
Domenic: I'd like the LICENSE to be fully confirmed
16:22
<annevk>
Domenic: best to only do this once
16:22
<TabAtkins>
Will merge now, dang mobile UI won't let me merge until Travis completes, and by then I've forgotten about it.
16:22
<Domenic>
TabAtkins: don't merge it!
16:23
<Domenic>
Apparently we're not ready, says annevk.
16:23
<Domenic>
I'll add a comment.
16:23
<TabAtkins>
Oh!
16:23
<TabAtkins>
Kk
16:24
<annevk>
Domenic: using the text/plain variant makes the most sense to me given that's what CC distributes itself
16:24
<Domenic>
Hmm I guess. But the SG has already expressed a preference for Markdown pretty strongly :P
16:24
<annevk>
Domenic: I don't really know though how that works with the Copyright statement at the top; I guess that's a modification you just need to make?
16:25
<Domenic>
One of the CC pages said that part was optional.
16:26
<Domenic>
I think it's like people are on vacation enough that we won't get this resolved until the new year, which is kind of a shame, but doing this all once is indeed better.
16:32
<Domenic>
It'd be nice to not include that copyright statement at the top in LICENSE because I'd really like to avoid updating those every year.
16:36
<annevk>
Domenic: good point
16:36
<annevk>
Domenic: if we did have to add it, would GitHub still detect it as such?
16:36
<annevk>
Domenic: in https://github.com/domenic/test-license-stuff/blob/master/LICENSE that is
16:37
<annevk>
(thanks for testing!)
16:40
<Domenic>
Might as well find out
16:41
<Domenic>
Header seems fine
16:43
<annevk>
Domenic: assuming there's not some kind of cache, yeah
16:43
<annevk>
Domenic: but yeah, avoiding a Meta: commit each year would be great
16:58
<othermaciej>
Domenic: in your test repo, did you determine whether LICENSE vs LICENSE.txt makes a difference to recognition by GitHub?
16:59
<othermaciej>
Domenic: I think GitHub autorecognition trumps formatting, so we defiitely want plaintext over .md
16:59
<Domenic>
othermaciej: I didn't but I will
16:59
<Domenic>
I find the URL-not-changing point by annevk compelling though
17:02
<Domenic>
othermaciej: .txt works too it seems
17:03
<othermaciej>
Domenic: not sure what the URL not changing point is. Is it that the repos currently contain files named just plain LICENSE?
17:03
<Domenic>
othermaciej: yeah exactly
17:03
<Domenic>
othermaciej: opinions on whether the changing-every-year copyright line is necessary?
17:06
<othermaciej>
Domenic: the first few popular open source projects that I checked on GitHub all have a copyright statement in the LICENSE file
17:09
<othermaciej>
Domenic: I randomly sampled 8 projects from the top 20 most popular on GitHub according to some list, and they all had a copyright notice in the LICENSE file
17:09
<Domenic>
Well, I guess if we want to be _conformist_, the path is clear... ;)
17:09
<othermaciej>
So it seems to be common practice. Whether it is absolutely required, I'd have to ask a lawyer, but I would be inclined to go with the common practice.
17:10
<Domenic>
Maybe include it without the year?
17:11
<othermaciej>
I have been told before that it's never correct to have a copyright notice without a year, but again I'd have to ask a lawyer to be sure
17:11
<Domenic>
Ah well.
17:11
<Domenic>
Maybe I'd feel better if we just delayed until 2018 so I don't have to do all these PRs twice
17:11
<Domenic>
Or maybe I should invent a tool that submits PRs to all repos to update their copyright year!
17:12
<othermaciej>
It would be ok to have an automated process update the year, either automatically on the 1st, or on the first commit in a given year
17:12
<Domenic>
Relevant XKCDs: https://xkcd.com/1319/ https://xkcd.com/1205/
17:13
<othermaciej>
Could make it a check on PRs for instance, that a PR must update LICENSE to the current year if not already up to date
17:13
<othermaciej>
heh, everyone knows programmers can't resist going into the shaded regions of that chart
17:14
<othermaciej>
ah, wait, I misunderstand the shading I think. But you know what I mean.
17:16
<astearns>
"Can I automate 90% of this 1-hour task so I could do it 50+ times a day?"
17:18
<Domenic>
^_^
17:19
<othermaciej>
Domenic: if you decide between LICENSE or LICENSE.txt and I'll update the sg repo to plaintext license in the matching filename. (Or feel free to just send a PR to that effect)
17:19
<Domenic>
othermaciej: I'll go with no extension. I'll work on the PR too.
17:20
<Shreya>
Domenic: Please review my pull request https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3303
17:20
<Domenic>
Shreya: yep, it's on my to-do list, hopefully today!
17:51
<othermaciej>
hmm, I just noticed that Console has multiple listed Editors in Workstreams.md, but all the policies assume one per Workstream
17:58
<wanderview>
I don't know how many times I can describe the same thing in https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/3054
18:00
wanderview
gives up
18:00
<annevk>
wanderview: yeah dunno
18:01
<annevk>
wanderview: FWIW, the main thing I wanted to do here is to point out the fingerprinting concern
18:01
<wanderview>
annevk: its more than fingerprinting, no? its tracking
18:01
<wanderview>
maybe thats the same thing
18:01
<annevk>
wanderview: we have some kind of fingerprinting logo we use to alert implementers to the fact that those features might need special consideration under more privacy-sensitive settings
18:01
<wanderview>
ok
18:52
<wanderview>
annevk: hah... now that person is asking that I define "privacy" for them
19:03
<Domenic>
I'm not sure what to do with that person... they are very aggressive
19:04
<Domenic>
But not in a way that crosses any lines, just ... really derails otherwise-productive discussions.
19:10
<annevk>
Just needs some coaching I hope
19:10
<jyasskin>
Amusing that "guest271314" doesn't believe people should worry about privacy. ;)
19:13
<othermaciej>
From reading the issue, WebKit would definitely need to disable or partition BroadcastChannel in some contexts when/if we implement it, to support our privacy features
19:17
<wanderview>
I wish github had a mute button
19:20
<othermaciej>
If it was good faith questions, I could at least explain the privacy property that WebKit aims to preserve with our Intelligent Tracking Prevention feature
19:20
<othermaciej>
Defining "privacy" in general seems way too broad though
19:20
<annevk>
I think they’re good faith
19:21
<annevk>
The problem is that person not doing some research first
19:28
<wanderview>
at least I know I'm not insane... I was starting to wonder if I was just typing gibberish
19:28
<wanderview>
well, probably not
19:29
<othermaciej>
I gave what I hope is a useful answer
19:29
<othermaciej>
at least about ITP, not on the more general "define privacy" question
19:37
<zcorpan>
annevk I don't have the bandwidth to review FP, but if chrome shipped the behavior change for allowfullscreen and it hasn't been reverted then it seems that should be done in the other engines also
19:37
<annevk>
zcorpan: I guess so
19:38
<zcorpan>
If FP does that to allowfullscreen then I guess my allowfullscreen PR can be closed, referencing the new one
19:44
<annevk>
Good point
19:54
<Domenic>
Today-I-learned [NoInterfaceObject] prevents x.constructor from existing.
20:00
<annevk>
I hope we can get rid of it completely still
20:19
<wanderview>
annevk: whether its intentional or not, I don't think this person is contributing constructively
20:44
<annevk>
wanderview: yeah...
23:02
<Domenic>
annevk: FYI https://github.com/whatwg/html/pull/3242 is nice but just waiting for tests.