01:36
<kochi>
annevk: thanks for everything. I was not well available last week due to private matters, but will be doing more stuff for the f2f this week and the next week.
01:56
<kochi>
annevk: are you coming to Tokyo, or if not, could you join VC remotely?
03:25
<smccandlish>
Any of the autoconfirmed around? Need to set up wiki.whatwg.org account
03:49
<smccandlish>
Domenic, you around?
03:51
<smccandlish>
GPHemsley: What about you? I'm going down the autoconfirmed list. Need help with getting wiki.whatwg.org account.
03:53
<smccandlish>
Is anyone active at all right now?
04:00
<MikeSmith>
smccandlish: I can create an account for you
04:00
<smccandlish>
Yay!
04:00
<smccandlish>
I requested one via e-mail a long time ago, but never saw a response, so this seems the way to go.
04:00
<MikeSmith>
yeah
04:01
<smccandlish>
What will you need from me?
04:01
<MikeSmith>
I get those e-mail messages but ignore them at this point
04:01
<smccandlish>
Too much spam?
04:01
<MikeSmith>
no, just that I don’t want to encourage people to keep using that wiki
04:01
<smccandlish>
Is a replacement in the works?
04:02
<MikeSmith>
well I personally think we should take all the current content there and move it to a github wiki
04:02
<MikeSmith>
but others disagree
04:03
<MikeSmith>
anyway, to set up an account for you, I need an e-mail address and your preferred username
04:03
<MikeSmith>
feel free to PM them if you want
04:05
<smccandlish>
That sounds reasonable, since people could use their existing accounts. Anyway, I'm a pretty public figure, so no secrecy needed. UserID: SMcCandlish, e-mail smccandlish⊙gc
04:06
<MikeSmith>
OK, gimme a minute, doing it right now
04:06
<smccandlish>
Thanks much.
04:07
<MikeSmith>
hmm, it says “username already in use”?
04:08
<smccandlish>
?? Hmm. I don't have a PW on file for that site. I can try stabbing guesses.
04:09
<MikeSmith>
maybe I can have it send you a reminder
04:09
<MikeSmith>
oh, you can yourself I think
04:09
<MikeSmith>
https://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Special:PasswordReset
04:09
<smccandlish>
Yeah, I just clicked on that. I had no idea the account already existed, and now feel very silly. Sorry for wasting your time.
04:09
<MikeSmith>
no worries
04:11
<smccandlish>
I'll go look for the reset. Have a good one. :-)
04:12
<MikeSmith>
cheers
04:30
<kochi>
MikeSmith: do you think if we have remote participants for the coming F2F at Google Tokyo, they can connect using Google Hangouts?
04:30
<MikeSmith>
kochi: yes
04:30
<kochi>
(depends on who they are, of course, but is "webex" required thing?)
04:30
<MikeSmith>
no need to set up anything else
04:30
<MikeSmith>
no, webex is not required
04:30
<MikeSmith>
it is better to avoid it, actually
04:30
<kochi>
ok, cool, then not setup is needed, then.
04:30
<MikeSmith>
hai
04:31
<kochi>
s/not setup/no setup/
06:07
<annevk>
kochi: I land the Sunday before and depart Friday
06:19
<kochi>
annevk: cool. In the w3c meetings page https://github.com/w3c/WebPlatformWG/blob/gh-pages/meetings/18-03-Web-components.md I didn't find your name and was wondering if you could not make it.
06:21
<kochi>
we're trying to make the logistic as lightweight as possible, but in any case you need a blue security badge for entering the building. we are figuring out if name/company are required for passing those badges to guests.
06:25
<annevk>
kochi: I guess I should update that
06:26
<kochi>
annevk: thanks. we expect there are last-minute updates on the list, so no hurries.
06:31
<annevk>
kochi: added
06:31
<kochi>
annevk: thanks!!
09:32
<annevk>
MikeSmith: I didn't realize that currently if you use <h1> followed by <h3> there's no conformance error
09:33
<annevk>
MikeSmith: so this outline change will definitely affect the validator
10:04
<MikeSmith>
yeah
10:05
<MikeSmith>
which is fine as far as I’m concerned
10:05
<MikeSmith>
happy to see that be made an error
10:07
<annevk>
It used to be an error too I think in HTML4
10:07
<annevk>
Insofar that required more than a quoted desk
10:07
<annevk>
(I'm probably messing up that joke)
10:09
<MikeSmith>
it was never an error in HTML5 as far as I can recall
10:10
<MikeSmith>
the (second) outline view in the checker exposes it as problem
10:10
<MikeSmith>
by design
10:10
<MikeSmith>
by showing an empty placeholder for any heading levels that are missing in the hierarchy
10:11
<MikeSmith>
oh I see that’s the first outline view now
10:11
<MikeSmith>
I guess I reversed the order a while back
10:12
<MikeSmith>
I guess at this point I really should just remove the (now-second) one, the “Structural outline” (generated from the outline algorithm)
11:40
<nox>
HTML4? What year is this
12:32
<annevk>
kochi: if you think there's other things worth categorizing with the existing issues, let me know
12:32
<annevk>
kochi: I think I've mostly done my bit, except for working on fixes
13:14
<Domenic>
annevk: re https://github.com/whatwg/fetch/issues/505#issuecomment-366671504, in what way did HTTP start dealing with fragments? I hadn't heard.
13:17
<annevk>
Domenic: they made it more explicit about how they work with redirects
13:17
<annevk>
Domenic: so that kinda means the fragment has to go into the HTTP subsystem
13:20
<Domenic>
Huh interesting
13:20
<Domenic>
Probably a good thing
13:26
<annevk>
I kinda like it actually, it's just a little risky at this point due to me not fully considering it early on
13:26
<annevk>
And nobody reviewing noticing I suppos
13:26
<annevk>
e
13:44
<annevk>
smaug____: are you around? I want to ask about the strategy for https://github.com/whatwg/html/issues/1127
13:45
<annevk>
smaug____: do we basically run the insertion steps twice for DocumentFragment with some kind of flag that indicates when it's safe to execute scripts or do we just special case script elements or something else?
13:46
<annevk>
smaug____: I'm inclined in the specification to special case script elements, unless there's other things we need to run the steps twice for
13:46
<annevk>
smaug____: nm, that doen't work
14:45
<nox>
annevk: Did the mixin stuff etc land in our WebIDL parser?
14:45
<nox>
Wrong channel.
15:13
annevk
wonders if esprehn is still planning to get around to making mutation events "async"
17:08
<wanderview>
is there an up-to-date draft svg spec?
17:10
<annevk>
wanderview: https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/ maybe?
17:12
<annevk>
wanderview: https://github.com/w3c/svgwg/commits/master does not look like it's very active though
17:12
<wanderview>
annevk: thanks, mainly looking for any kind of processing model for fetching stuff
17:12
<annevk>
wanderview: kinda doubt that exists 😕
17:13
<annevk>
wanderview: SVG rendered as image is somewhat defined at https://svgwg.org/specs/integration/ I think, but not really
17:14
<annevk>
wanderview: at some point I drafted together some notes for what SVG needs, but nobody is really available to do the work
17:14
<wanderview>
annevk: just trying to figure out the fragment stuff
17:14
<wanderview>
annevk: or if anything else should keep the fragment
17:47
<railgun>
annevk: fixed #3473
17:59
<annevk>
railgun: cool, will look tomorrow
18:00
<annevk>
wanderview: per HTTP it'd be best if everything preserved it
18:00
<annevk>
wanderview: I recall there also being some proposals for fragments to work on media resources (video, audio) so that seems sensible in retrospect
18:00
<wanderview>
annevk: the question I have is... when the Response.url has a fragment that the original Request.url did not have... is that possible with service worker?
18:01
<annevk>
wanderview: it's possible with redirects and service workers, I think
18:01
<wanderview>
annevk: should we just take the fragment off of the Request.url and attach it to the Response.url in HandleFetch?
18:01
<wanderview>
hmm, ok
18:01
<annevk>
wanderview: we wanna forward, but explicit response fragment wins
18:02
<annevk>
wanderview: see some of the tests I wrote
18:02
<annevk>
wanderview: they don't cover service workers yet though
18:02
<wanderview>
annevk: so service worker HandleFetch should forward the fragment?
18:02
<wanderview>
ok
18:02
<wanderview>
annevk: I think that would solve this particular problem that xidorn has
18:02
<annevk>
wanderview: I need to figure out a local HTTPS setup for WPT
18:02
<annevk>
wanderview: yeah it should
18:03
<wanderview>
annevk: it would also solve it without having to figure out the Response.url fragment situation
18:03
<annevk>
wanderview: if we just kept it internal you mean?
18:03
<annevk>
wanderview: sure, that'd work, it just doesn't give the same power to apps
18:04
<wanderview>
annevk: well, we have the fragment on FetchEvent.request.url... we could just apply it to whatever the Response.url is right now
18:04
<astearns>
annevk: When I last talked to esprehn he had a new, non-Blink (and non-mutation-event) project he was excited about.
18:04
<annevk>
wanderview: what about redirects?
18:04
<wanderview>
annevk: I'm not saying we stop there... but it solves the immediate compat problem xidorn raised while we figure out the full picture
18:05
<wanderview>
annevk: and its easy for me to do this without touching Response.url yet
18:05
<annevk>
astearns: hmm good for him I guess
18:06
<annevk>
wanderview: sure, intermediate fixes seem fine, esp since Chrome/Safari already work, right?
18:07
<wanderview>
annevk: I don't think they are doing the Response.url propagation stuff yet in this case, so not sure they have run into the problem yet
18:09
<wanderview>
annevk: maybe I should file a separate spec issue on applying the Request.url fragment if present when ServiceWorker does an interception
18:12
<annevk>
wanderview: I think we should tackle it all at once
18:13
<annevk>
wanderview: btw, for your intermediate solution, if request.url contains a fragment, response.url wins?
18:13
<annevk>
wanderview: but response.url only wins if it also has a fragment?
18:13
<wanderview>
not sure I understand
18:14
<annevk>
wanderview: if you request /hi#bye and you get /hi#yo
18:14
<annevk>
wanderview: it needs to be /hi#yo, right?
18:14
<wanderview>
annevk: in the interim you cannot get a fragment on Response.url (and we don't save it internally)
18:14
<wanderview>
annevk: you will always get /hi right now
18:14
<annevk>
I see, okay
18:15
<wanderview>
annevk: saving it internally means also storing it on disk in Cache API, etc
18:15
<wanderview>
so we haven't done that
21:23
<esprehn>
annevk: I still think it's worth doing but I'm not working on Blink/Chrome at this time. I'm not sure who works on the DOM these days, maybe ask TabAtkins or ikilpatrick (who's unfortunately not in this channel)
21:29
<astearns>
maybe iank___ ?
21:54
<smaug____>
annevk: (traveled to Toronto today)
21:55
<smaug____>
I'll look at the question later today or on Wed