10:22
<annevk>
tobie: so I read "I think we need a community group for that." and for a moment there I thought you were serious, then read the rest
10:24
<tobie>
annevk: yeah. This work mode is an important cause of the current situation.
10:25
<tobie>
annevk: it puts the burden of initiating change on those that are victims of the status quo.
10:27
<tobie>
annevk: but then lets those benefiting from the status quo keep the situation as is by refusing to enact change (absence of consensus for change at the AC level).
10:28
<tobie>
annevk: this is how Swirtzerland works, btw.
10:28
<annevk>
Yeah, hence WHATWG, but WHATWG isn't exactly diverse either
10:29
<tobie>
annevk: yes on both counts.
10:49
<smaug____>
Hmm, what is the best way to search through wpt to see if some behavior is being tested
10:50
<smaug____>
perhaps I should just run them all
10:50
<smaug____>
and change implementation to see if anything breaks
10:50
<smaug____>
(or get unexpected pass)
10:55
<jgraham_>
smaug____: We might have useful coverage data these days?
10:56
<smaug____>
jgraham_: hmm
10:56
<smaug____>
this particular case is about form element stuff inside shadow DOM
10:57
<jgraham_>
smaug____: https://github.com/marco-c/code-coverage-reports/blob/master/web-platform-tests.tar.xz has wpt coverage data
10:57
<jgraham_>
From Firefox CI
13:18
<annevk>
smaug____: I tend to resort to grep and digging around in the couple places that might make sense
14:38
<annevk>
frivoal: fyi tobie was sarcastic
14:48
<frivoal>
hehe. That went way over my head. Also, I had heard the same comment made non sarcastically by a couple of people right before, so...
14:49
<frivoal>
either way, this is a real problem, and priviledged people alone are unlikely to be in the best position to get to the bottom of it.
14:49
<frivoal>
(which doesn't mean committees are the best way of out this)
14:53
<annevk>
yeah
14:53
<tobie>
frivoal: oops. see my comments above. The problem with that is we’re basically asking minorities to do the work for free. And then it’ll die at the AC.
15:23
<jyasskin>
tobie: What was the context?
15:23
<jyasskin>
+1 for that being a problem.
15:24
<tobie>
jyasskin: essentially me being a sarcastic jerk on twitter. :-/
15:28
<tobie>
jyasskin: https://twitter.com/annevk/status/994876132422975489?s=21
15:29
<jyasskin>
Your joke was good.
15:37
<jyasskin>
WHATWG has something of the opposite problem: browser implementers are in a position of power, and folks who don't work for a browser have an uphill battle even if they're right.
15:43
<tobie>
It’s the same problem, really. Creating diversity grants would be a good first step imho.
16:15
<annevk>
Domenic: I'm gonna uppercase those variable names now
16:15
<annevk>
Domenic: for https://github.com/whatwg/whatwg.org/pull/201 that is
16:15
<Domenic>
annevk: ah OK sounds good
16:16
<annevk>
Domenic: shall I also add my review.sh thingie?
16:16
<Domenic>
Yeah please go ahead :). I was prepared to take over since it's getting late for you but if you're still working go for it
16:31
<annevk>
Domenic: should be all in order now
16:32
<annevk>
Domenic: I haven't quite tested the full setup though, only the individual pieces
16:32
<annevk>
Domenic: if I do more work later on I'll ping you here first, but it seems unlikely
16:32
<Domenic>
Yeah, I'll try to give it a try today. It's a bit hard since using curlbikeshed doesn't work until the Bikeshed PR is merged
16:33
<Domenic>
Maybe landing the Bikeshed changes + CSS refactoring + rebuilding all the living standards would be a good first step
16:33
<Domenic>
I'll make gray icons of everything
16:33
<TabAtkins>
Happy to land whenever.
16:35
<Domenic>
Probably Monday
16:38
<annevk>
Domenic: I guess the other thing I might work on later is updating Makefile / .gitignore / README.md for standards
17:04
<annevk>
Did for URL now, as a demo
17:05
<annevk>
I haven't looked at what we need to do for HTML, hopefully it's not too bad
18:57
<TabAtkins>
Domenic, annevk, anyone else with an opinion: Putting together the code for cross-spec backrefs now, so uses of a definition in other specs will show up in the dfn's dfn-panel. Should I just put a single reference to the *spec* that's referencing the term, or should I, when possible, put in all the links to the actual references, like you get with the spec-internal references?
18:58
<TabAtkins>
Possible problem with the latter is that very common types will have *lots* of references - TypeError is referenced by WebIDL alone 70 times, for instance.
19:00
<Domenic>
Oh wow, interesting/awesome...
19:00
<TabAtkins>
Maybe just something like `<a href='link-to-spec'>webidl</a> (70 refs)`
19:01
<TabAtkins>
(Specs that aren't Bikeshedded probably won't have IDs on their refs anyway, so I *can't* link straight to them. But this first run is only going over Bikeshedded specs, so the question still arises.)
19:01
<Domenic>
I'm a bit confused by that example, where would that show up for TypeError? Since TypeError is defined in JS.
19:02
<TabAtkins>
Yeah, it's just the particular thing I'm looking at. Imagine anothe rspec that's actually bikeshedded. ^_^
19:03
<TabAtkins>
Like, Infra's set/append definition is referenced 8 times in WebIDL.
19:04
<TabAtkins>
list-iterate has 12 refs in WebIDL.
19:04
<TabAtkins>
etc.
19:04
<Domenic>
Got it, yeah. I think that would work well, maybe with [WebIDL] as the text
19:05
<Domenic>
You could do the whole thing with <details>, but with a big increase in output file size in many cases, I imagine.
19:05
<TabAtkins>
Yeah, if I go this way I'd just use the same naming code that generates the spec names in the indexes.
19:05
<TabAtkins>
Yeah, exactly.
19:06
<Domenic>
I have a related idea to make that work even better...
19:06
<TabAtkins>
The fact that you can't iterate down the list of refs, like you can internal ones, suggests to me that having the full list wouldn't be that helpful.
19:06
<TabAtkins>
Yeah?
19:06
<Domenic>
If you made the "Terms defined by other specifications" behave like https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/infrastructure.html#dependencies
19:06
<Domenic>
where clicking on the term opens a dfn panel
19:07
<Domenic>
Then you could have "70 refs" link to the entry in "Terms defined by other specifications"
19:07
<Domenic>
So you could jump directly to the usage of the term in the other spec's appendix and see all uses
19:07
<TabAtkins>
Ooooh.
19:08
<TabAtkins>
Hm, I'd have to do some verification that said newly-generated section actually exists, in case you're looking at a spec that hasn't been regenerated recently, or isn't Bikeshed at all...
19:09
<TabAtkins>
But I wanted to do that anyway, to verify that the URL your .bs file claims is where you're published actually contains a document on the other end... (WebVR, for example, is now lying.)
19:10
<TabAtkins>
(Claims to live at https://immersive-web.github.io/webvr/, was moved to https://immersive-web.github.io/webvr/spec/1.1/, first URL is now a "this spec is abandoned, here's a link to it for legacy purposes" landing page.)
19:13
<annevk>
This sounds quite exciting
19:13
<TabAtkins>
I think my current attempt is probably not great anyway, and I should just be parsing HTML directly and inferring the spec it's referencing via URL. That'll automatically extend to non-Bikeshed things, and won't depend on possibly-legacy linking data.
19:17
<TabAtkins>
I'll do that "dfn-panel for Terms Defined By Reference" thing first, that's more straightforward.
19:46
<jyasskin>
TabAtkins: This sounds great, and I like Domenic's https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/infrastructure.html#dependencies suggestion. Note, though, that it wasn't obvious to me that clicking would open the dfn panel instead of jumping to the definition in the other spec.
19:46
<TabAtkins>
Yeah, it looks like a link there. I won't be styling it like a link.
19:46
<Domenic>
Ah that makes sense
19:59
<Domenic>
Can the Bikeshed web service parse multiple Text-Macro values?
19:59
<Domenic>
And more trickily, how would I pass them with curl?
20:35
<TabAtkins>
https://api.csswg.org/bikeshed/ explains how to pass metadata to bikeshed via the curl api. It *should* handle multiple Text-Macro values, but you'd have to check.
22:59
<TabAtkins>
All right, Terms Defined By Reference is now dfn-panel'd. Let me know if there's anything you want fixed in https://github.com/tabatkins/bikeshed/issues/1249. I'll give more thought to backreferences next week.