07:02
<annevk>
JakeA: oh thanks, I'll add that to our backlog
07:03
<annevk>
JakeA: best thing we recently finished is Sense8, but unfortunately it got canceled (though there'll be a long wrap up somewhere next year)
07:05
<JakeA>
I enjoyed the first series of that but haven't watched the extra episode they did
07:25
<domfarolino>
Anyone know whether or not it is spec'd somewhere that browsers should not block rendering on link tags whose media attributes do not apply to the current UA environment when loading a page?
07:27
<domfarolino>
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/semantics.html#processing-the-media-attribute doesn't get specific about it..idk whether or not the idea of renderblocking media is implementation-dependent or something is spec'd
07:40
<annevk>
JakeA: there's two seasons, and then there's some kind of upcoming long episode
07:40
<annevk>
JakeA: ah, and the first episode of season two was also a long one
07:41
<annevk>
domfarolino: all of that is super hand-wavy
07:41
<annevk>
domfarolino: right tradeoffs are still an area of research I suppose
07:44
<domfarolino>
annevk: ok makes sense. yeah, reason I asked is bc nightly seems to block rendering on stylesheets loaded from link whose media attr doesn't reflect current environ, where as canary + safari don't block (render screen much quicker) gotcha tho
07:50
<annevk>
domfarolino: we should probably fix nightly
07:51
<annevk>
domfarolino: though how exactly it is to be fixed is much less clear of course
07:51
<annevk>
domfarolino: like do canary + safari even end up populating document.styleSheets in the end with these stylesheets?
07:51
<annevk>
domfarolino: CSSOM was so poorly done
07:59
<domfarolino>
annevk: yeah, think I'm gonna make a small repro example...any recommendations on where to ask around about it?
07:59
<domfarolino>
annevk: canary + safari do populate document.styleSheets after they are loaded btw
08:00
<annevk>
domfarolino: the only person I can think of for Fx is bz
08:01
<domfarolino>
annevk: ok perhaps asking around in the slack will be beneficial too or something...you're saying CSSOM was don poorly in FF?
08:01
<annevk>
domfarolino: no, just done poorly as a thing
08:01
<domfarolino>
annevk: yeah, seems like something we shouldn't be doing (all this blocking for no reason when other implementations aren't)
08:01
<domfarolino>
ahhhh
08:01
<annevk>
domfarolino: the slack?
08:02
<domfarolino>
annevk: ah, yeah mozilla.slack.com the firefox channel is fairly active though I feel more engineers actually use IRC so it might be the best route yeah
08:03
<annevk>
oh, maybe I should finally gave and sign up for that, hmm
08:03
<annevk>
domfarolino: I'd expect #content and maybe #layout to have answers, but not this time of day
08:03
<annevk>
domfarolino: on Mozilla IRC, not Freenode
08:04
<domfarolino>
annevk: it's unfortunately fairly spammy IMO butttttt I've gotten some decent information on bugs ive been interested in so yeah pros and cons
08:04
<annevk>
s/gave/cave/
08:04
<domfarolino>
annevk: Gotcha, yeah I'll ask around tomorrow haha
09:23
<TabAtkins>
domfarolino: There's no particularly good reason to block rendering in that case, but I don't think the blocking behavior is defined anywhere.
09:23
<TabAtkins>
One does have to be careful, because even if it doesn't apply, scripts might expect the StyleSheet object to exist.
09:24
<TabAtkins>
But that doesn't have anything to do with the rendering, I wouldn't think.
09:26
<annevk>
TabAtkins: that's another thing that's poorly defined, whether StyleSheet existing implies the entire stylesheet is present or whether that can be incremental
09:27
<annevk>
TabAtkins: it's clear the DOM is incremental, but for CSSOM it's all rather vague and undefined?
09:27
<TabAtkins>
yup
09:27
<annevk>
I'm sure Glenn Adams will fix it any day now
09:28
<TabAtkins>
it's zcorpan's responsibility now ^_^
11:58
<JakeA>
annevk: I could try to reduce the amount of wrapping in cancellation, but it will leave some points not-cancellable, some which are potentially observable. Eg https://fetch.spec.whatwg.org/branch-snapshots/cancelation/#main-fetch 2.4 is observable through CSP reporting
12:03
<annevk>
JakeA: hmm, I wonder if it's bad if you can race with mixed content blocking and such, though obviously you already can the moment you hit redirects
12:05
<annevk>
JakeA: also, maybe we need to rephrase "Run these steps until" somehow to not make it seem like a while loop
12:06
<JakeA>
annevk: I'll make a branch that only deals with streams and network stuff. I went the other way because it seems weird to call out to CSP for a potentially already terminated fetch
12:06
<annevk>
JakeA: yeah, I think you're right that that's weird
12:06
<annevk>
JakeA: so I'm okay with your setup
12:07
<JakeA>
annevk: Yeah, I'll figure out some working for the |reason| stuff too. I started with "If the fetch terminates with reason |reason|", but it sounds like the |reason| is part of the conditional
12:08
<annevk>
"Run these steps once and stop if fetch is terminated"?
12:15
<JakeA>
Yeah, that works
12:18
<JakeA>
annevk: I don't mind the git blame issue. I'll use it to get a promotion. "I wrote 50% of the fetch spec"
12:18
<JakeA>
(a colleague was refused promotion because some idiot did a git blame on a project they worked on and decided they hadn't done much on it)
12:19
<annevk>
JakeA: pretty decent machine learning you got going on there
12:19
<nox>
JakeA: Next time you show managements the exact same figures,
12:19
<nox>
JakeA: but as the output of git praise instead.
12:20
<JakeA>
:D
12:20
<jgraham>
JakeA: At Google? That's pretty funny. (and also tragic)
12:20
<annevk>
git: 'praise' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
12:20
annevk
is disappointed
12:20
<jgraham>
annevk: You are thinking of svn
12:20
<jgraham>
git-annotate is a command
12:21
<JakeA>
jgraham: yeah, pretty shitty. We did some complaining about it. Hopefully it won't happen again.
12:21
<annevk>
There should be promotions for leaving behind little technical debt (or just owning up to it for a long time)
12:21
<nox>
Yeah it's from svn.
12:22
<nox>
blame|annotate|praise
12:24
<jgraham>
annevk: And yet Hyatt got a huge payrise/promotion for abandoning us yet leaving XUL and XBL.
12:26
<annevk>
jgraham: yeah, creation gets rewarded much more than maintaining a pile of hacks, which is why there's also so many new APIs of dubious value and rather little architectural work (some of this is overly simplified and I'm biased)
12:27
<JakeA>
no I think you're right
12:28
<JakeA>
also creating stuff in solitude makes it easier when it comes to attribution
13:22
<JakeA>
annevk: what's the deal with the manual-wrapping in specs? I much prefer allowing the editor to wrap. Makes it easier when searching across the file too
13:22
<JakeA>
Makes diffs easier too, as you don't end up with loads of lines changing because of a one-word change
13:24
<nox>
JakeA: This was ambiguous.
13:24
<nox>
JakeA: The editor, or the editor? :)
13:24
<JakeA>
haha
13:24
<JakeA>
yeah
13:24
<JakeA>
um, I mean the text editor's wrapping feature
13:24
<annevk>
JakeA: so I don't wrap terms myself (though whatwg/html does) so searching should not be impacted generally
13:24
<nox>
I could see someone replying to you "well, that's exactly what we do?" passive-aggressively. :P
13:25
<annevk>
JakeA: and I think the wrapping is for more readable diffs, though it's somewhat terminal-orientated
13:26
<JakeA>
annevk: ah, so I've been following the whatwg/html rules. I guess I should fix that
13:26
<JakeA>
annevk: I don't agree that it makes diffs better, unless the diff viewer doesn't support wrapping (which unfortunately includes vscode)
13:26
<annevk>
JakeA: seems like something we could discuss for a bit in https://github.com/whatwg/meta/issues to see if the tooling is maybe good enough these days that we should just drop it and go with something else
13:27
<JakeA>
annevk: I guess the main bit of tooling that would need to support it is github
13:27
<JakeA>
which doesn't right now, although a small CSS change fixes it
13:27
<annevk>
JakeA: well this is from the days where we mostly used "diff -u p10" or some such (I forgot the exact syntax)
13:28
<tobie>
JakeA: I find GitHub's split view mostly good enough for this.
13:29
<nox>
JakeA: I think the argument about diffing is that if you insert a long word on a line,
13:29
<nox>
you may need to rewrap everything that follows,
13:29
<annevk>
Yeah, GitHub's diff viewing + tobie's tool might be enough to start giving up on the 100col thing
13:29
<nox>
and then 10 lines changed instead of 1.
13:29
<tobie>
JakeA: That said, I favor semantic line breaks of 100 character wrap, tbh
13:30
<annevk>
Anyway, I recommend someone file an issue if they want to see this changed generally
13:30
<tobie>
s/of/over/
13:30
<annevk>
Against whatwg/meta
13:30
<nox>
Ah that's the opposite direction, disregard me.
13:30
<tobie>
nox: semantic line breaks prevent that
13:31
<nox>
tobie: Yeah that's what I meant.
13:32
<JakeA>
tobie: huh, I didn't realise the split view now supported wrapping in github. I thought I tried this recently and it didn't.
13:33
<tobie>
JakeA: I think it mostly works? There might be cases where there's too much change for it to kind of fall apart, though.
13:33
<JakeA>
seems pretty good
13:34
<tobie>
good
13:34
<annevk>
What's really nice about GH is how it highlights the word changes
13:35
<annevk>
Though unfortunately those don't account for wrapping :/
13:35
<wanderview>
JakeA: have the useCache WPT tests landed?
13:36
<JakeA>
wanderview: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/5515 - no one seems to want to review it :(
13:36
<TabAtkins>
JakeA: Semantic linefeeds, yo <http://rhodesmill.org/brandon/2012/one-sentence-per-line/>;. All the benefits of short lines, *plus* you don't have to rewrap a bunch when you change one word.
13:37
<wanderview>
JakeA: aren't there lots of review comments on there?
13:37
<wanderview>
I'll look again
13:39
<JakeA>
wanderview: there were reviews, and I've addressed the comments. Just needs someone to say it's now good to go :D
13:39
<wanderview>
JakeA: done
13:40
<JakeA>
\o/ thanks!
13:40
<wanderview>
JakeA: sorry about that... I could complain about GH UX again I suppose
13:41
<wanderview>
I guess I'm really used to bugzilla flag system
13:41
<JakeA>
wanderview: it's my bad, there's a few prs I need to chase
13:43
<nox>
wanderview: Is that the needinfo thing?
13:44
<nox>
wanderview: There is https://github.com/pulls/review-requested
13:44
<wanderview>
nox: needinfo, explicit review flags, a place I can see all flags requested of me
13:45
<JakeA>
TabAtkins: I've never done that before, but I guess it makes sense. Have you written specs this way before?
13:45
<TabAtkins>
I write every single spec that way.
13:45
<TabAtkins>
Check any of the CSS specs I edit.
13:47
<TabAtkins>
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/blob/master/css-align/Overview.bs
13:47
<TabAtkins>
^^^ for example
13:47
<jgraham>
wanderview: GH kind of has explicit review flags now
13:48
<wanderview>
jgraham: yes... but targeted at specific people or just "i want someone to review"?
13:48
<nox>
Yep it's the link I pasted,
13:48
<jgraham>
wanderview: Yes
13:48
<nox>
but there is no unified view for review requests and things assigned to you, for example.
13:48
<jgraham>
wanderview: (although really targeted at specific people is a pretty bad system for contributors)
13:49
<jgraham>
(although I guess it has CODEOWNERS now, so that could help)
13:49
<JakeA>
https://github.com/whatwg/meta/issues/31 issue for removing the 100 column limit
13:52
<JakeA>
TabAtkins: When are you going to write typeshed so I can write specs in TypeScript and it'll convert them to prose?
13:53
<wanderview>
jgraham: all I know is that I still don't have a good way to know what PRs people are waiting on me to review...
13:55
<jgraham>
wanderview: I mean I agree that the GH sisten is not that great
13:55
<jgraham>
But in-principle looking at https://github.com/pulls/review-requested answers that question
13:56
<jgraham>
It's just hard to find, and you don't get reminder emails, and it's not integrated with any other data
14:15
<annevk>
(it's also broken on whatwg/html PRs likely due to the size of the source resource)
14:15
<annevk>
(reported but no fix)
14:26
<tobie>
TabAtkins, JakeA: I <3 semantic line feeds. Helps me think. But it seems pretty much everyone else hates them.
14:31
<wanderview>
anyone have safari handy and could run this test? https://timeout-clamp.glitch.me/
14:34
<gsnedders>
wanderview: first result is inconistent (1 to 6 I've observed), second is always 6
14:35
<wanderview>
gsnedders: thanks
14:35
<jgraham>
I find that semantic line feeds make the text harder to read due to the extreme raggedy right edge. It's like someone was trying to write particularly dull freeform poetry
14:35
<gsnedders>
wanderview: s/first/setTimeout/
14:35
<gsnedders>
wanderview: (this is on a laptop on AC power, given throttling might differ)
14:35
<gsnedders>
wanderview: and Safari TP 36
14:36
<wanderview>
gsnedders: thanks, its bound to be noisy... I think 6 is a reasonable answer
14:36
<tobie>
jgraham: "particularly dull freeform poetry" is an pretty adequate description of spec prose.
14:37
<tobie>
*accurate
14:38
<TabAtkins>
jgraham: I find it much easier to read, precisely because the "poetic" nature of it splits up thoughts better.
14:49
<wanderview>
JakeA: when you are able to land the useCache tests, can you let me know? I want to ask jgraham to do a gecko sync to pull the tests in
14:49
<wanderview>
or maybe let jgraham know directly since you're in the same timezone
14:50
<jgraham>
wanderview: Just started a sync this morning, so the timing would be unfortunate if they land this afternoon
14:50
<wanderview>
we're just waiting to get the tests before landing our implementation of the enumeration
14:51
<jgraham>
Can probably try to make it work somehow though
14:51
<wanderview>
jgraham: in theory not much would have changed between this morning and the afternoon if you ran another sync?
14:52
<JakeA>
I guess someone with the appropriate rights just needs to hit the merge button on https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/5515
14:52
<jgraham>
wanderview: Right, might just be possible to mush it in
14:57
<gsnedders>
if anyone has latest Edge with new-grid enabled in about:flags, what do you get for https://codepen.io/gsnedders/pen/ZJpYBY?
15:03
<jgraham>
JakeA: Merged, although I didn't notice I should squash rather than rebase, sorry
15:04
<JakeA>
wanderview: ^
15:04
<JakeA>
jgraham: Cheers! Don't worry about the squash thing
15:05
<wanderview>
JakeA: wasn't there a "failed check" or something from travis? what was that about?
15:06
<JakeA>
wanderview: it looked like a failure to connect to webdriver, so I assumed (perhaps wrongly?) that it was just a glitch
15:06
<jgraham>
Yeah I'm not worried about that
15:06
<wanderview>
ok... I was just curious
15:06
<jgraham>
On master this PR wouldn't even run those tests
15:06
<jgraham>
Because it doesn't modify tools
15:07
<jgraham>
wanderview: Will try to pull those changes in to the sync
15:07
<wanderview>
jgraham: thanks!
15:13
<wanderview>
and thanks to JakeA for writing the test!
15:13
<JakeA>
no problem!
15:41
<JakeA>
annevk: to handle the service worker parts, I'm thinking of adding an in parallel section in step 17 of https://w3c.github.io/ServiceWorker/#handle-fetch which waits for the fetch to terminate, then queues a task to signal abort on fetchEvent.request.signal – does this sound reasonable?
15:42
<JakeA>
It means we don't need the message port stuff for the signal, although I'd still like signals to be cloneable for other uses.
16:16
<annevk>
JakeA: yeah that's probably reasonable
16:17
<annevk>
JakeA: I vaguely remember wanting to refactor more around streams since Fetch and SW have some duplicate parts, but that's probably separate
16:30
<annevk>
JakeA: I'll rereview first thing tomorrow
16:31
<annevk>
JakeA: btw, there's still quite a bit of interest on our side to do multiple boxes at some point with good enough heuristics to avoid the need for persistent storage
16:32
<annevk>
JakeA: I guess I should sketch something at some point
16:33
<JakeA>
annevk: interesting! The biggest problem is "tripit" which is low engagement but high importance
16:34
<JakeA>
But then everything is potentially high importance when you about to get on a flight or a train
16:35
<annevk>
JakeA: we're thinking about replacing LRU with some kind of score that takes into account recency and first visit
16:35
<JakeA>
annevk: doesn't that fail the tripit case?
16:36
<annevk>
JakeA: don't think so, recent visit and long ago first visit would be a high score
16:37
<annevk>
JakeA: problematic would be long ago first visit and no visit in the last x months/years
16:38
<annevk>
JakeA: or single recent visit
16:38
<annevk>
(both recent and first)
16:38
<JakeA>
annevk: that can happen. Log in January. "Tripit added your December flight" notification in June, user dismisses it. But you still want that "flight changed" notification in November
16:39
<JakeA>
Or be able to get flight into from the app offline in October etc etc
16:41
<annevk>
Hmm I guess tripit might be one of the cases that actually needs persistent then
16:42
<annevk>
Hopefully they'll use it when we ship it
16:43
<annevk>
I'd expect Netflix and such to also want persistent; it seems they have enough brand to ask the user such a thing and that way they get to control when stuff breaks offline
16:43
<annevk>
But there's a lot of cases that could be helped by better heuristics and being able to say what it's important relative to other things (if the browser needs to prune)
16:44
<annevk>
Maybe prune isn't the correct term here, but...
16:47
<JakeA>
annevk: having both works. We don't show a permission for persistent, we grant it if there's a bookmark added or add-to-homescreen
16:47
<JakeA>
Which I guess counts as a heuristic
16:47
<JakeA>
But you can query whether you have it
17:06
<annevk>
JakeA: yeah I saw, we have a prompt but we might do something like that at some point
17:07
<annevk>
JakeA: but that still requires the site explaining to the user that they have to do something and keep it that way
17:07
<annevk>
JakeA: boxes + better LRU might enable sites that don't want any of that (we've mostly heard that from game developers)
17:24
<jgraham>
annevk, JakeA: Any reason https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/6484 isn't merged?
17:43
<JakeA>
jgraham: there's no spec yet, but I believe annevk was happy for it to merge anyway
17:43
<JakeA>
Just needs someone to hit the button
17:47
<jgraham>
JakeA: Invited you into the org so you can merge your own PRs now :)
17:47
<jgraham>
(in particular it looks like you want to edit the commit message for that one when you squash, so I'll let you do it)
17:53
<JakeA>
Ooooo thanks!